Friday, August 21, 2015

What an Awesome Film!

Based on the 2011 Hollywood film, Warrior, Brothers starring Sidharth Malhotra and Akshay Kumar in leading roles, recently hit the theaters. Since I have never been a fan of UFC, I was hesitant to watch this Bollywood movie given the main premise involved fighting and I wasn't sure if I would like it. However, I absolutely loved it! 


For those of you who haven't seen the Hollywood version like me, the story revolves around two estranged brothers. Their alcoholic father, played by Jackie Shroff, was a fighter and returns from jail to find out his family has fallen apart due to severe mistakes he made in the past. Both brothers end up participating in a fighting championship for different reasons: one to release his pent up anger and one to support his family. To find out what mistakes the father made that led to the brothers becoming estranged and which brother comes out the winner, go watch the film!

The movie was indeed very well-paced. The way the story unfolded about the family's past through songs was really enjoyable to watch. Even Jacqueline Fernandez gave a good performance as a troubled mother and the concerned, supportive wife of Kumar's character, which was refreshing to watch. It is no surprise that Shefali Shah, who played the mother, gave a commendable performance. The costumes and makeup of the female characters were not flashy but simple and fit the premise really well.

Though I don't enjoy watching fights, my heart was racing with every fight in the second half of the film. I felt I was personally invested in the characters of the brothers and was on the edge of my seat, waiting to see which brother would come out the winner. I think a huge credit to the actors who played the roles of the commentators for creating such an edgy atmosphere during the fights.

No doubt Kumar is an ageless and a great actor. I am really happy to see Malhotra maturing as an actor since he starred in Ek Villain. He really transformed his physique for this role and it is commendable to see such dedication by an actor.

Kudos to director Karan Malhotra for a great job!

No comments:

Post a Comment