Saturday, December 19, 2015

A Funny Movie

I was very excited about Dilwale‬ given that it was bringing the great on-screen couple of Shahrukh Khan and Kajol‬ back together. I was also excited to see Varun Dhawan‬, given that he is one of the most talented actors in the younger generation in my opinion. I also love the soundtrack! I have been listening to the album non-stop ever since it released. However, I was nervous given that I hated Happy New Year and didn't like SRK and director, Rohit Shetty's last collaboration, Chennai Express. And when I read the mixed reviews of the movie, I got even more nervous.
So what did I think of this latest Bollywood release? Well, I didn't hate it. I didn't love it either but I liked it.
The story revolves around Kaali/Raj (SRK) and Meera (Kajol), who both belong to rival Don families. They fall in love but due to a misunderstanding, they are separated. A few years later, their respective siblings, Veer (Dhawan) and Ishita (Kriti Sanon), fall in love and attempt to reunite them.
At least, SRK didn't overact in this one as he did in Chennai Express. He looks good in the scruffy, bearded look. Kajol looks gorgeous! However, I wish we had gotten to see more of her "I am a badass!" moments. Unfortunately, their on-screen pairing in this film was not as magical as it was in DDLJ and Kuch Kuch Hota Hai.
Dhawan and SRK were great together in emotional scenes. Dhawan also had excellent comedic timing. I wish the romance between Sanon and Dhawan was more developed, even if it was just one more song. There was one song in the album: Premika, which was cut out of the movie and that was disappointing.
Shetty tried to tackle three genres in this flick: romance, comedy and action. He is known for the last two. As such, it is no surprise that the action sequences were good and the movie definitely had a lot of funny moments! However, the romance between both couples seemed rushed. As such, I think Shetty still needs to work on mastering that genre. The film was also visually very beautiful with most of it being shot in Bulgaria.
Overall, Dilwale was definitely cliché but I was still able to enjoy quite a few good laughs! It may not be the best movie ever but it wasn't the worst either.

No comments:

Post a Comment