Saturday, February 20, 2010

Did Not Meet Expectations

I had high expectations from Shutter Island since it is a Martin Scorcese and Leonardo DiCaprio movie. Unfortunately, it did not live up to its expectations, which was surprising because I was quite impressed by the duo's previous venture, The Departed.


Based on a novel by Dennis Lehane, the film is a psychological thriller about two U.S. marshalls played by Leo and Mark Ruffalo, who are appointed to find a missing patient from a hospital for the mentally unstable, who commit severe criminal acts, on an island in Massachussetts.




The story was interesting especially the twist in the end but the ending dragged. I think the execution of the film was weak because the editing was flawed. The flashbacks kept popping up without a smooth transition from the present. The bloody scenes and special effects were not very believable; they looked too fake. 


Leo was excellent in the movie and so was Ben Kingsley. However, I was upset that I spent $11.25 to watch this movie. Yes, Fairfax Corner is even more expensive than Tyson's Corner, where the ticket costs $10.25 - what a loot!  


You may feel differently about this movie but I would still recommend not spending $10 - $11 on it. If you are very eager, watch a matinee show or a $6 show on Tuesday in a Multiplex Cinema. If you can be patient, just wait for it to come on DVD, which I wish I had done. 

1 comment:

  1. Finally, my two cents.

    Years from now, when people discuss the greatest cinematic delights to ever be directed by Martin Scorsese, they will say "The Departed" and "Shutter Island."

    Here's why:
    The Departed was a fast-paced crime drama with some of the best male actors around. Nicholson, DiCaprio, Wahlberg, Winstone, Damon, Sheen - you couldn't dream up a better ensemble cast.

    Shutter Island starts out slow and it drags. True. The editing left a LOT to be desired and I will admit, I was frustrated more than halfway through - because it SEEMED INCREDIBLY PREDICTABLE. Which for a Scorsese film was more than a little disconcerting. However, the ending, my God, the ending - well, it was SO worth it! The twist at the end, DiCaprio's performance was brilliant. Kingsley and Ruffalo were good (although I think Ruffalo was miscast). Patricia Clarkson was a revelation, too.

    When I think about this film, I equate it as a cross between The Sixth Sense and The Silence of the Lambs! I throughly enjoyed it because it was so different. It was too long, but that's the only complaint. I'd see it again, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete