Sunday, June 20, 2010

Better Late than Never!

After getting a lot of heat about not having watched Shrek Forever After yet, I finally gave in. And I can't believe that I didn't watch it when it first came out. What was I thinking? Well, since I don't get paid to watch movies like professional critics do and given that movies have become so expensive, I have to be selective in what I watch. Whom am I kidding? I love movies too much to be able to do that. Anyway, going back to this DreamWorks film - even though it appeared to be funny in the trailers, I guess I just wasn't too convinced because I am not a die-hard fan of the series. I know I am going to get a lot of heat about that too but hey, it's hard to watch green ogres kiss on the big screen but then again I didn't mind watching blue people in Avatar so I guess that's not a very good argument.

Anyhow, I'm glad I watched it because I really enjoyed this animated movie. It was really funny and the voice-overs were impeccable especially by Walt Dohrn, who did the voice-over for the main antagonist, Rumpelstiltskin. And it's still hard for me to believe that Mike Meyers does the voice-over for Shrek because he sounds completely different unlike Cameron Diaz, Eddie Murphy, Antonio Banderas, Kathy Griffin, and Craig Robinson, who sound like themselves in the film.

The well-written script makes the story line interesting, whereby Shrek is tired of his daily routine as a married ogre and a father and wants to go back to being a regular ogre for one day. But his wish leads to him losing the most valuable things in his life - the love of his life and his friends. So will he be able to get them back? Watch and find out. The moral of the story is - be careful what you wish for and that we usually tend to take things for granted and don't realize the value of the most important people in our life until we lose them.





So those of you who are skeptical and still haven't watched it, I highly recommend it as it is indeed an entertaining film. No need to spend extra bucks on 3D though - the regular mode would be just fine.

I guess now I should go watch Toy Story 3 before I get heat about that. Who's with me?

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this insightful review! I liked Shrek, too! The script was really good - I really think a blog post about how crummy all these 3D movies are is warranted. Even my kid noticed that if a movie comes out in 2D and 3D it's bound to suck.

    ReplyDelete