Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Did You Hear About the Morgans?

I wish I hadn't. Yet another one to add to the Disappointing Movies of 2009 list. I am glad I decided not to waste $11 on it.

Did You Hear About the Morgans? is a story of a married couple, who are separated and are going through a rough patch. They get the opportunity to mend things when they are secluded to a far away location under a witness relocation program when they witness a murder. So will the Morgans' marriage survive? Will they patch things up? That is the main crux of the story.

So why was the movie disappointing? Because there was absolutely no chemistry between Hugh Grant and Sarah Jessica Parker. Sandra Bullock has much chemistry with Grant. I didn't like SJP's look, bangs do NOT suit her. The story was weak and poorly scripted. It tried to be funny but failed miserably. The acting was not too impressive either. I only liked the comparison of city residents to residents of a small town. What do you think the message of the movie is? Is it giving the message that infidelity is ok? Or is it giving the message that love is strong enough to survive anything?

Infidelity must be on the minds of everyone in Hollywood because this is now the third movie I have seen that released at the end of 2009 that dealt with the topic, the first two being Up in the Air and It's Complicated. Are these movies encouraging infidelity?

If you haven't watched Did You Hear About Morgans? yet, take my advice - don't even bother. If you do want to watch it, wait for the DVD to come out.


What is going on? None of the movies I have seen so far that released in 2010 have been impressive either! Will the streak of bad movies end soon?  I certainly hope so.

Next up according to my calendar is Extraordinary Measures. Yes, in addition to appointments, I mark movie release dates on my calendar (only for the ones I intend to watch). What can I say? I am that crazy about movies!

2 comments:

  1. Personally, I think SJP is getting a little long in the tooth to be in romantic comedies. She's not aging well - at all. As for encouraging infidelity, I don't think movies do that as much as they are really a microcosm of what's going on in society. Does everyone cheat? Well, it depends on the person, culture, upbringing, and mostly, opportunity. As for your being surprised about the lack of good movies in January- don't be! January is typically the dumping ground for bad films; studios time movies for award season - which is why the best stuff comes out right between the end of October and Christmas. You likely won't see a really good movie until Spring, when more people in the midwest and east coast are likely to venture out in warmer weather.

    I'm enjoying your blog by the way - I love to discuss this stuff and can't wait to see your take on Extraordinary Measures. As for "Morgans" I'll wait for it to come on cable. Thanks for saving me $11!!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your feedback, A. I am glad to know that you are enjoying my blog and that I was able to save you money!

    ReplyDelete